Monday, November 30, 2009

Waiting.

I planned on updating when I finally got my acceptance from GWU.

After waiting nearly two months past the deadline I called. It turns out there's a glitch in the system and a bunch of people didn't get an acceptance or a denial. They said to email sbwiner@gwu.edu to get an answer. I did so and it bounced back, DNE. So I googled other possible addresses and the faculty contact page on GWU.edu said it's sbweiner@gwu.edu, Sara Weiner, Associate Director for the Admissions Department.

Emailed her and she said she was out of the office for the week but to call and ask for the Officer of the Day to get an answer. Called the next day and they said s/he wasn't available but to log into the admissions website by the end of the day to get an answer.

I logged on and instead of a recursive loop "loading..." page, I get a page that says my application doesn't exist. This was the evening before Thanksgiving. I can finally try calling them again tomorrow.

Only it's five weeks before the Spring 2010 semester starts and I haven't been able to work out any financial aid or class scheduling or dorming or if I got into the honors program, to say nothing of finding a job here to ship off with a little bit of money in my pocket... Vincent saw today a mailing I'd gotten from University of Maryland offering me $5,000 dollars a year in scholarships and was flabbergasted as to why I didn't accept it. I shrugged; told him I thought GWU would offer me more.

The Oakwood Hospital and Friends of the Rouge interviews came and went with no callbacks, along with a Target interview that equally fruitless. I babysit for my Aunt two or three days a week and do a little bit of volunteering for Arbor Hospice here. Now that training's done I sell remembrance ornaments as part of a fundraiser. Three hour shifts in the mall during the holiday shopping season. It makes for okay people-watching.

Adding to that, NPR forgot to blind carbon copy the email talking about phone interviews for the NPR internships. On top of the couple dozen gmail accounts, there were many school addresses: Nebraska Wesleyan University, Northern Arizona University, South Dakota State University, University of Texas at El Paso, the American University in Cairo (which I've actually looked at if I get the Boren scholarship), University of Utah, University of Virginia, Boston University, two from University of California (one in San Diego, one in Los Angeles), one from George Washington University, two from University of Michigan, three from Georgetown, and one from Yale.

So I don't know about this whole NPR internship thing after all.

But either way, phone calls from either organization are going to be wonderful since I've been sick and lost my voice from too much talking the past few days. And my lower back hurts in a different sort of hurt than I've ever had in my life. I want to cut my kidneys out of my body, because I feel like right now that'd be an improvement.

No comments: