I've applied for several bank teller jobs, a few Borders books jobs, a PETCO job, a writer/reporter job, and a job was a bellhop at The Dearborn Inn, a classy hotel very nearby my little brother's workplace. A few of the teller jobs automatically shot me down, but my aunt knows the manager at one of the places I applied to-- which I only found out after I applied.
Dearborn Inn sent me a rejection via email, and then later that day someone called me for an interview. I just got back from it today-- I was interviewed by two mid-twenties girls who seemed really positive and hopeful-- and I think I knocked it out of the park. I'd also be doing valet and shuttle work, so my experience driving large vehicles and 12-passenger vans with AmeriCorps helped out a bit. I've got a clean driving record and the minimum 3 years with a driver's license they require. They seemed to really like that I was CPR certified and that I'm able to work weekends and holidays, and they even said that they have both a full-time and part-time position. It's also the sort of job that provides tips, so I think it might be a solid opportunity for me. They said they'd be calling me back very soon for a second interview, especially since they had three people they had to unexpectedly cut for driving issues. Still, I'm going to keep options open.
I've also spoken with a lady who looks for hospice volunteers and she's sending me an application for their training and service, starting in October, so I'll be able to continue with my volunteering too. I'd still like to look at other opportunities too though. I need to find a local food bank or something, maybe. I'm just not sure who to talk to. I registered at United Way and inquired about some things there but I haven't gotten any responses-- You'd think people would be a little better responding to these offers of free labor.
And University of Maryland offered me a $5,000/year scholarship on top of a financial aid package. Still holding out for what GWU has to offer, there. Things look up as far as Being Successful go, but down as far as Having Some Fun go. I dunno about any trips to my grandma's place up north or consistent D&D on Sundays, right now. Which kinda stinks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Consider gleaners, at http://www.gcfb.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pg_volunteeropportunities;
Fort Street Presbyterian, at http://www.fortstreet.org/Open%20Door/volunteers.html (primarily Tuesdays and Thursdays); or forgotten harvest, at http://www.forgottenharvest.org/volunteer.html.
Hope all is well, and that you've gotten a job and were just too busy to update the page! (And sorry I'm too stupid to figure out how to make the URLs work as links, but you can cut and paste or Google the orgs yourself.)
Post a Comment