Monday, July 20, 2009

The quick version

A climb up a rock scramble that turned into a thick underbrushy forest as Coby led us lost through Eldorado Springs and my ankles got cut up and we all sat by a stream that was so cold it hurt and I lost my glasses when I dipped my head under the little falls in the rapids but found them again after some hunting through the riverbed

A terrible Saturday service project at Barr Lake where grass was up to chest height and the mosquitos were worse than I've ever seen and our boss, who birdwatched from his car the whole time, said, "Sometimes I'm amazed they get paid for this"

A nice Sunday service project, my last, at the Children's Museum of Denver, where unbeknownst to me other two AmeriCorps volunteers were serving that day, and they fed us pizza in the name of our graduation and asked us to go to 7-eleven to get slurpees for everyone, sneaking behind one of the employee's back

A midnight bus ride from Nederland to Denver, to arrive back at campus at about 2:00am, all in the name of the Nederland Renewable Energy Group and a meeting at Greg Ching's house, which was fantastically energy-efficient with its solar and geothermal energy

A meeting with AmeriCorps's awesome (but very busy) budget guy for a discussion of future government careers on Wednesday

Three days left!

No comments: